Sunday, May 14, 2017

Happy Mother's Day


This photo of Mom and her mother is one of my favorites, a quintessential Mother's Day image. My grandmother married later than most young women at the time. In the 1930s, it wasn't common for a woman to have her first child in her mid-30s. She only had one child, my Mom.


This photo of Mom and I is another one of my favorites. Mom and Dad went out of their way to have a family, adopting my sister and I in 1964 and 1966. Most people in their age group had much older kids, and most of the kids in my age group had much younger parents. We were always a little different than other families.


Mom and Dad used to take us to Rangeley, Maine for a couple weeks each summer, when most of our friends in New Jersey went to the Jersey shore. We loved spending time on the lake. When my sister, Libby and I were in college, we did not go to Maine every year, but we did return when we could.


We have a small immediate family, just three of us, Mom, Libby and I. Dad passed away in 2007. Since he's been gone I have tried to give us reasons to reunite as a family. We were together in San Jose during my exhibition of quilts in 2013, and Mom and I went to France for my exhibition at Salon Pour l'Amour du Fil in 2015. We share more than 50 years of incredible memories.


Our family happened differenty, but family was the most important thing. It wasn't simple or easy, and that's what made it so precious. The unconditional love shines brightly in our family photos. Happy Mother's Day to the absolute best Mom I could possibly imagine!
SaveSaveSaveSave

4 comments:

  1. Lovely Post - I know your mom will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely family story. It's so great you all "found" each other. Families are the best! Just this morning my husband said to me "I hope to meet your mother one day (meaning after he passes) because she sure raised a fine bunch of kids". 8 of us. Yes, it's a Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos and stories. I have met your mother and she is delightful.

    ReplyDelete